June 1, 2010

Jaxon's Kindergarten Graduation!



Jaxon Graduated from Kindergarten! For this special event,
the entire kindergarten puts on a concert! I thought it was
great, Jaxon....not so much! To explain I'll back my story up
to earlier that day. Jaxon came home with a yellow light from
school. He is usually really behaved at school, hes only gotten 2
other yellows this year. We asked him why he got a yellow? He
said to us "Because I wouldnt sing!" I said "Why wouldnt you sing
Jaxon?" He wouldnt answer me! Later that day we got in the car to
go to the Performing Arts Center at the High School and he was
really quiet in the car. I could tell he wasnt thrilled about
performing! He is quite the shy kid and doesnt like to get out of his
comfort zone. On our way in to the PAC I ran into his teacher
and asked her what had happened. "He was stomping on
everyones feet on the risers and goofing off, and every time the
music teacher asked him to sing he would yell NO!" Great! I
thought. Worried that would be his reaction during the real thing
we had a pep talk! He seemed excited. So when it was time to
perform he ran up there with a smile on his face. As soon as the
music started he got this really mad look on his face and wouldnt sing.
In a way it was funny I guess. He stayed there with his arms crossed
almost the entire time, and as soon as it was over he was back to
being happy Jaxon! He is thrilled to be a BIG first grader!
Jaxon has really excelled this year. He went from being
in a smaller self contained class (because they thought he
would need a lot of one-on-one attention) to being put in a
traditional class setting within the first week of school.
He continued with being pulled out daily for reading, writing, and
speech. After the first half of the year I was called to have an IEP
meeting with the Principal and the teachers that all worked with
him. I have to admit I was a little worried even though he seemed
to be doing really great! They told me that he would be passing
out of speech and that he was at the top of his class in reading
and math! He no longer needed their services. I was pleasantly
surprised! For years I have had therapists tell me that he would
struggle in school, probably learn to read a few years later than the
rest of the kids, and always be in special ed. I always knew he was
smart. They always told me he was gifted in areas most kids weren't
but that he learned very different. They doubted, I doubted.
He has proved everyone wrong and I'm so proud of him!
Congratulations Jaxon! I love you buddy! You did it!




No comments:

Post a Comment